Where To Get Assistance

Help is available for persons who are in need of counseling or other treatment for substance abuse. Listed below are agencies and organizations, which can assist persons in need of such services.

  • On-Campus Assistance with Referral Services Office of the Director of Student┬áServices.
  • Local Information Northwest Alabama Mental Health Center 24-Hour Toll-Free Number: 800-489-3971
  • National 24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline (referrals for mental health and substance abuse issues) 800-662-HELP (4357) Website: www.samhsa.gov
  • Treatment Facilities The treatment facilities listed below provide either alcohol (A), drug (D), or alcohol and drug (A/D) treatment on an outpatient, residential, or inpatient basis. Outpatient care generally consists of counseling and other therapy on a periodic basis, such as twice a week. Inpatient services include such treatment as detoxification and short-term hospital care. Residential services include residing (generally from one to six months) at a treatment facility and participating in such therapeutic activities as lectures, group counseling, individual counseling, and self-analysis. Some of the listed facilities are private and some are public. In most instances, the care offered at a public facility is less expensive than similar services offered at private facilities. However, many health and hospitalization insurance policies include coverage for substance abuse treatment. There are also situations in which private facilities are provided public funding to offer services to eligible clients who would not otherwise be able to afford such services.