History Of The College
Bevill State Community College is a part of the State of Alabama’s system of community, junior, and technical colleges authorized by the Alabama Legislature under Act No. 93, approved May 3, 1963. Alabama Code -Section 16-60-111 (G) vested the authority and responsibility for the operation and maintenance of Alabama’s two-year colleges with the Board of Trustees beginning summer 2016.
Bevill State Community College was created in 1992 by the consolidation of two premier two-year colleges which were a part of the original legislation: Walker State Technical College (Sumiton), formerly a vocational/technical institution which opened in 1966, and Brewer State Junior College (Fayette), a two-year academic transfer institution, created in 1969. The Hamilton Campus of Northwest Alabama Community College, primarily a vocational/technical campus which was created in 1966, merged with Bevill State in 1993 as one of its main campuses. Walker College (Jasper), established in 1938 as a two-year academic transfer college, completed the Bevill State four-campus college in 1998. In 2007, the College built the Pickens County Educational Center in Carrollton.
Bevill State offers academic transfer courses, career technical education, health sciences programs, adult education classes, and workforce solutions at its four main campuses and one instructional site. Bevill State’s service area spans over 4600 square miles in a seven-county area, reaching more than 200,000 people from the Birmingham city limits to the Mississippi state line.